Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Reverend Wright

The only thing I think would be good about Obama winning the presidency is that he is black. If a black man won the presidency, I think it would be great for the country and do a great deal at putting to rest the racial divide in America. Imagine black children growing up with a black president. What a different perception of this country they would have. I am not black, so I am not claiming to speak on behalf of black people. Race relations are a complicated thing that I don’t think can be understood by just one race. You would have to have lived as both to truly be able to speak with authority on race in America. If the tables were turned and white people had the American history that the black people have endured and a white person had a chance to be president, I don’t care what his politics were I would vote for him. I think Obama is huge for black people and for healing the wounds of an entire country. Reverend Wright brands himself as an angry man who has been wronged by a repressive government. He speaks to like minded people who seem to feel the government has and is actively working against them. Maybe he has done it for so long he can’t see he is hurting the very real chance he has to solve this very problem. Maybe he is so full of himself he can’t pass up a chance at 15 minutes of fame; to try to solve the perceived racist government by giving it a black boss. I am not an Obama supporter. I am not going to vote for him. The cost is too great for the capitalist ideals I hold very dear, but if I was Reverend Wright I would.

No comments: